Yokomen uchi (横面打ち) is a blow to the temple or the side of the head. It is one of the three primary strikes in Aikido.
Key points to remember when doing yokomen uchi:
- The front foot goes directly towards the uke, not off to the side
- The hand travels in a straight line from uke’s temple to nage’s temple. Do not be tempted to bring the hand around in a circle.
- Do not lift up the back heel
- Cut through the head. Do not stop at or before the nage.
- Keep your hand soft. There is no need to strike hard
Below is a video that shows a class practicing yokomen uchi and an explanation afterwards of important points to keep in mind: